Virginia Drives Electric 2021
Revitalizing and Electrifying Virginia’s Transportation Sector
As the world finds itself in this decisive decade to avoid the worst impacts of climate change, Generation180 developed this report to make the case for a clean mobility future, helping to revitalize transportation in the Commonwealth. Find out more inside this second edition of Virginia Drives Electric: Revitalizing and Electrifying Virginia’s Transportation Sector, including new findings that indicate that Virginians are overwhelmingly in favor of clean energy and electric mobility, programs that accelerate the adoption of electric vehicles, and policies that could help fund this important work.
The majority of virginians support electric vehicles
- 73% of Virginians think it is important for Virginia to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels and transition to clean energy.
- 70% of Virginians support state investments in modernizing and electrifying its transportation sector.
- 79% of Virginians have a positive view of electric vehicles.
- 58% of Virginians are likely to consider an electric vehicle for their next car.
- 67% of Virginians support implementing the Transportation and Climate Initiative Program.
Transportation & Climate Initiative Program 101
The proposed Transportation & Climate Initiative Program (TCI-P) is a market-based cap and invest program collaboratively designed by 13 states and the District of Columbia to decrease greenhouse gas emissions from the transportation sector.
The program would reduce transportation emissions by capping pollution and investing program proceeds in projects that would help expand public transit, accelerate transportation electrification, bring new jobs, and create a more equitable transportation sector overall.