Your Influence Matters: Peer Influence and EV Adoption
More than a Cup of Sugar: The Neighborhood Effect and EV Adoption
Our neighbors, friends, and loved ones are the ones we turn to for help, advice, even a cup of sugar sometimes. This new report, Your Influence Matters: Peer Influence and EV Adoption, shows that they also play a key role in encouraging us to drive electric. That really matters when it comes to cutting climate-harming emissions.
This new report shows how another person’s influence really matters when it comes to encouraging clean energy behaviors like driving electric.
Designated Market Areas from across the U.S.
- EV registrations experienced significant growth across all 11 DMAs studied, compared to the national average:
- Philadelphia, PA: 426% growth
- Charlotte, NC: 476% growth
- National average: 328% growth
- Car buyers are more likely to consider an electric vehicle if their neighbors have one: Analyses of new vehicle registrations in 11 cities (called “designated market areas” or DMAs), indicate strong evidence of peer influence on the growth in EV sales.
- EV registrations experienced significant growth from 2018-2022 across all 11 DMAs studied, compared to the national average.
- Researchers performed geospatial analysis to determine EV registration “hot spots” for year 2018 and 2022.
- The analysis was performed using data and insight commissioned from S&P Global Mobility and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- Interviews with EV owners, highlighted in ten report case studies, illustrate the peer effect, including stories about the benefits of driving electric.
This report represents the first time this type of cluster analysis has been conducted broadly across key U.S. markets to identify zip codes experiencing high EV registration, while accounting for the neighborhood effect.
The New York DMA provided a strong example of peer influence at work
⬤ Hot Spot 99% Confidence
⬤ Hot Spot 95% Confidence
⬤ Hot Spot 90% Confidence
◯ Not Significant
⬤ Cold Spot 90% Confidence
⬤ Cold Spot 95% Confidence
⬤ Cold Spot 99% Confidence